3.14.2010

On Being a Good Teacher

I appreciate this post by Steve Davis. Philosophically I agree with performance pay. Too many bad teachers keep their jobs. Although, I think it's foolish to believe that every person who has a job outside of a union or outside of teaching is a quality employee, even though they technically work in performance-based jobs. It's important to remember that the employee, no matter the job, is not the only variable to success.

also

I love my job. I devote many hours beyond what is contracted. My instruction is driven by data. I tutor students before and after school. I make home visits. I don't make excuses. I do much more than would be required of me if I worked in an "better" school. Yet, if I worked in that "better" setting, I would receive more accolades and higher performance pay (if it were in play).

No comments:

Post a Comment